1. Where does the money go? Sole Support is a fundraiser for Parkinson’s Resources of Oregon, a local nonprofit providing direct service to patients and families with resources, support, and education. Learn more about PRO at parkinsonsresources.org.
2. How do I register? solesupport.org | 800.426.6806
3. How do I join a team? Ask your friends or PRO support group leader if they’ve started a team—if not, suggest one. You’re also invited to join Nancy’s team, PDExercise on solesupport.org or any staff team in your region.
4. Can people from out of town join me virtually? Yes! This new format allows 100% inclusive involvement, no matter location.
5. How do I fundraise? We have found the personal approach is most successful with a phone call, email, or even postcard to friends and family. Social media (Facebook/Instagram) is also very successful. See reverse side for ways we can help!
6. How do I collect money for fundraising? We encourage your supporters to send donations direct to PRO - be sure they include your name so we apply it to your efforts
CHECK 8880 SW Nimbus Avenue, B Beaverton, OR 97223
CREDIT CARD solesupport.org or 800.426.6806
7. How do I raise awareness? Word of mouth, social media, or one of our fun Sole Struck lawn displays!
8. How do I get my t-shirt when I raise $100? Attend our packet pick-up event on September 26th Or by appointment only at the PRO office. Call Kristi at 800.426.8000 to arrange pick up.
9. How are you going to social distance? PRO is closely adhering to all CDC guidelines. Our main “gathering” will be a drive-thru packet pick-up event. Participants will stay in their vehicles while volunteers and staff wearing masks and gloves accept donations, provide resources, distribute t-shirts and swag bags, and decorate cars for a festive care-a-van to several recommended routes. During actual walking, we encourage 6’ and masks.
10. Do I need to come to the packet pick-up to walk? It is not required—simply a fun activity to provide in a safe environment. We hope to see you, as we miss you too!
11. Do I have to decorate my car? No. While all decorations will not harm your vehicle, you are welcome to accept as much as you like.
12. Do I need to get out of my car? No, in fact we ask that you do not. We will have safety protocols in place that require guests to stay in their vehicles.
13. Do I need to walk the options provided? No, they are recommendations. We wanted to make it easier for you by doing some of the work to search options.
14. Are the recommended paths paved or ADA accessible? A definite maybe! Each route in the Choose Your Own Adventure booklet will have a notation of paved or ADA accessibility.
15. Do I have to walk on the date of the walk(s)?
You can walk whenever you like! That’s one of the brilliant things about this model—it’s tailored to you. For highest impact of raising awareness on social media, its best to flood photos of walkers in their Sole Support shirts on one concentrated day in your region.
16. Where do I share my pictures and progress? Facebook and/or Instagram, please! Be sure to take Parkinson’s Resources of Oregon and Sole Support so they pop up in feed or our followers. You might go follow both pages on each FB and IG now so it’s easy to post leading up to and day-of.
17. What hashtags should I use? Hashtags are a great way to raise visibility to the general public. We like to use #Walk4PD #solesupport4PD #solesupport #parkinsonsresources
18. I don’t do social media, how else can I participate? Keep taking those photos and videos! You can email to email@example.com and we will post them on our channels. Include your name, team, and location so we can include!
19. I don’t know how to start. How can I get help? PRO’s friendly staff are able to get you (your team too!) registered and even provide guidance on fundraising tips. Below are some ideas of how we can help you exceed your Sole Support goals! Just call us at 800.426.6806 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Social media is a HUGELY successful tool to fundraising in this format - but it can be confusing. Mindy Holliday is working with us to provide recorded tutorials for utilizing both Facebook and Instagram. We are also happy to assist you over the phone with these platforms. One great tool are the Facebook fundraisers with just one simple click from your friends, plus Facebook covers all processing fees!
Personalized postcards and/or letters have also proven very successful for Sole Support fundraising. We would be happy to work with you on crafting these and even mailing them on your behalf. Please know the information of your contacts is always protected.
Emails allow you to personalize your message and connection to Parkinson’s, while also including a link for your network to easy click with their support! We can help you with the language and even send it through your own walker page.
The blue bag program through Oregon Bottledrop enables fundraising in what we do anyways—recycling! Returnable bottles and cans can go directly to your Sole Support. Call PRO for some blue bags. Get enough for your friends and neighbors!
A 16 ounce water bottle filled with dimes can be worth $100! Check your couch and empty your pockets and a Sole Support t-shirt will be yours in no time!